
Today in my Computer Aided Manufacturing class we discussed Chapter 1 of our text Automation, Production Systems, and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing written by Mikell P. Groover. I thought it was interesting how it describes the different between an automated process and a man-operated/labor process. The automated process is described as a system with industrial robots that perform processing, assembly operation, and material handling.
The PowerPoint slide to the right is take from the lecture and shows when manual labor is justified - or essentially - necessary. One of the reasons include the flexibility of a human being. Maybe eventually a robot would be able to flex like a human but there I do not know of any present robots that can flex and still be as strong a human being. This most certainly sets humans and robots apart.
Another essential distinction between human and robot was discussed in class - spirit and energy. Today I woke up early to go to a 6:15 hot power yoga class. This is the first morning class I went to and the first class since the summer semester started which is about a week and a half. I felt amazing after class and I had so much energy! I suppose we could relate this to the amount of power a robot would consume through battery source but is this truly comparable? I don't think so. My mind completely felt connected to my body and the amount of motivation I had when I got home from class and throughout the day is indescribable. I wish I could capture it for the times I feel mentally and physically drained because of classes and such.
No comments:
Post a Comment