Monday, June 2, 2008

Axium Exhibit

My three favorite displays at the Axium Exhibit are shown below.

Flower in Ball in Floor













Underneath the Skin V.2














Consensus

This display is a simulation done by jackbackrack with computer software and is basically 75 simulated robots that communicate with each robot nearby. When hearing about this piece, it was told that it is supposed to simulate politics and the leaders we have today since this is voting season. I watched the simulation for a while and it was interesting to see that sometimes a robot would be assigned as a leader and it would be the only leader of the pack. Other times there would be two leaders or none. When nobody was assigned as a leader all the Robots stayed still. The arrows which showed the directions they were supposed to go were pointing downward almost like saying, "I am here and I am staying here until I am told to do otherwise." Because the robots only listen to the robots nearby they only move when the robot next-door tells it to.

When there are two or more robots leading the other robots it is purely chaotic. Each leaders decides to go a different direction and eventually the robots begin to run into each other or get seperated into two different groups. This heavily represents all the different political groups, such as republican and democrats, because the group has different beliefs and makes different decisions based on their beliefs.

No comments: